Mother Of God
The miraculous icon,
it has long been revered Catholic
Orthodox and Uniate population
the Eastern part of Belarus.
Versions of the origin of the icon
There are two different
traditions — Orthodox and Catholic,
tells the history of the icon. Orthodox
the legend has two versions. One of the versions
says that after the defeat of Kiev
Tatar troops of Batu a few
monks, taking with him an ancient icon
Byzantine letters, he departed, fleeing,
in the forest. The long journey they have completed
on the hill near the river Drut —
right tributary of the Dnieper, where he founded
Church of St. Elijah the Prophet, and men’s
monastery. Is the first night for the selected
place from icons started to come unusual
light. The miracle was repeated in the subsequent
the night became outgoing light from white.
In memory of this miracle the place where was
the monastery was founded, supposedly got
the name of Belynichi (Belynichi) Later the icon
was kidnapped monks Carmelites.
In another version of the icon
was stolen by the Catholics from the gate
the Orthodox of Orsha Kuteinikovo
the monastery and handed over to the Carmelite
monastery. Church and monastery Catholic
the monastic order of Carmelites wearing
was founded by Leo Sapieha, the great
Chancellor of Lithuania in 1622 Think
that Foundation was a token of gratitude
God for the victory in 1618 over the troops
the Moscow Tsar.
Both versions of the Catholic
legends say that the icon appeared in
Carmelite monastery of Bialynichy the
in a miraculous way. According to one version of the icon
was painted the Angel on the window
shutter. On the other — the icon was written
pilgrim-painter while singing
monks litany of the Mother of God. Painter
completed its work by the time the end of the
singing. Painter was an angel.
tend to believe that the miraculous icon
in Byalynichy was written in 1634-1635.
an unknown artist.
The icon is
Virgin Mary with Christ on her left arm. In
lowered right hand of the mother of God
scepter — a symbol of Royal power. In
the left hand of Christ’s power (the same symbol),
right raised in blessing
gesture. Perhaps the scepter and Orb
appeared on the icon after its renovations
before the coronation in 1761 to Make such
guess allow information about
kept in the monastery silver
vote with text in Latin, asike —
“Pavel Ivanovich Sapieha, The Grand Chancellor.
In memory of miracles. icons pure Mary
Virgin Belynichi 8 Dec 1665”. On
vote before the virgin and child,
with missing symbols
the authorities were depicted kneeling
The icon refers to
one of the earliest iconographic
types: Hodegetria (Putevoditeli).
The icons of this type the mother of God —
the throne and the throne of the Almighty symbol
victorious fortress and strength of the Church.
At the same time, the Hodegetria — the guardian
and mentor of the human race on it
the way to God.
During the war Speech
Commonwealth with Moscow
Carmelita in 1655 moved the icon to
a fortified place called Lyakhavichy,
which for a long time then was
in the siege of the troops of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich.
The siege of Liakhovich was taken after the victory
the Polish-Lithuanian troops under the Polonka
2 Jul 1660 Release Shown was
assigned commander of the fortress by Michael
Wreckin marvelous power Belynichi icon
Notre Dame, which was performed
thanksgiving hymn “Te Deum” (“You
Commission Of The Vilna
Bishop in 1755 was filed 9
images wonders of the Belynichi icon:
1) write her an angel; 2) the siege of Lyakhovichi
fortress; 3-9) images of healing in
1671, 1706, 1720, 1737, 1722.
The icon was in
Lyakhovichi before 1760 In 1760 the icon
solemnly transferred in Byalynichy in
the newly built Church. During
the discovery of the miraculous image
Lyakhovichi Bishop of Vilnius Michael
Zenkovich received in 1754 resolution
and a bull of Pope Benedict XIV on
the coronation of the icon. Golden crown with the arms
Oginski Sapieha and was made in
the money from these aristocratic birth.
The solemn coronation
icons took place on 20 September 1761 For
the celebration in front of the house
Oginski built a gazebo with a triumphant
gate, where was placed the icon.
The coronation on behalf of the Bishop
Zenkovich made Bishop of Smolensk
Jerzy Nicholas Gilzen. The sermon was delivered
famous Dominican preacher
After laying crowns
the icon was brought to the temple. Holiday
lasted a whole week. It took
part residents of Shklov, Mstislavl, Orsha,
the glory of the miraculous icon of the Belynichi
Of The Virgin Mary. In the monastery during the holidays
Of The Ascension, The Descent Of St. Spirit
The scapular of the mother of God, St. Elijah and
Of the Nativity were numerous
groups of pilgrims from Golovkina, Kudina,
Zerconia, Esmon, Teterina, Belevich,
After the first partition
Of the Commonwealth (1773) Byalynichy included
in the Russian Empire. The uprising of 1831
was the reason for the closure in 1832.
only in Mogilev province 23
Catholic monasteries, including
in Byalynichy. The Church was handed over to
diseasealso clergy. After
the Polish uprising of 1863-1864 a
the remaining existing churches were
closed and transferred to the Orthodox Church.
In 1876 he handed Belynichi
the Church with the miraculous icon of the Russian
Of the Orthodox Church. Think
the last parish priest priest
Lucian Godlewski hid the original and
left in the Church copy. The original is, —
says the priest Tadeusz Krahel (białystok), —
as suggested by some is
in the Will-Gutowski.
among the population of the Belarusian land
the cult of the miraculous icon of the Belynichi
reflected in many created
beautiful copies, prints which
carefully stored in Christian churches.
Before the icon of the blessed virgin Mary pray
about the healing of diseases, consoled in
Holiday icons ― 12
(Zhudro), jer. Belynichi miraculous
the icon of the virgin. Mogilev, 1905]
[Wolyniak (Gizycki J. M.) Z
przeszłosci karmelitów na Litwie v Rusi. Kraków, 1918. Cz. 2. S.